March 25, 2012

The Sisterhood Series: Sewing Towards Your Dreams


Hey lovely readers!

Here is the second post in The Sisterhood Series! But first, what is it all about? Well, I launched the series in celebration of Women’s History Month and International Women’s Day. I see and hear so many things about women being our own worst enemies and we are so catty and just not supportive of each other. I wanted to change it, at least in some small way and so this series was born. Each post, I focus on a girl I personally know who has style, sass and doing something in their lives that they absolutely love! These girls are just like you and me and provide real-life inspiration, and I hope that their stories will help us learn and support girls all over the world, whether or not they fit into your ideal stereotype of your best girlfriend. We have come so far in elevating our status in what has been (and still is to a large extent), a man’s world. To read my original post, please click here. And without further ado, please meet Kaushala Liyanage. 

Kaushala and I are friends from school in Sri Lanka. She has always been a really nice girl with a great personality and easy-going attitude. She moved to England to pursue a degree in fashion designing, but had to quit school due to the high cost of such a degree. However, this has not stopped her from chasing her dreams. She continues to follow her heart and get closer to her goals, one high-fashion stitch at a time :) Here's my interview with her:

Who are you and what do you do?
Hello I’m Kaushala Liyanage! I am 23 years old and for now, I am a freelance fashion designer living in England.

What does a normal day look like for you?
I work full-time. When I get home I like to unwind with some tea, and plan things for tomorrow.

You’re moved to England to pursue a degree in fashion designing. What inspired your interest in all things fashion?
Well I have stopped going to university because I didn’t have enough funds to support myself, so I am working full time now. I’m saving to start my label and my store - I have just a little more to earn so I can reach my goal. What inspires me? Well everything that’s beautiful, everything that’s around me, mainly things from nature. I also find inspiration from other designers like Valentino, Stefano Pilati and Riccardo Tisci.

When did you know you wanted to become a fashion designer?
I knew when I saw a dress by Valentino on TV. I was around six or seven years old. I remember I had this book where I would draw designs – I used to get so mad at myself for not knowing how to illustrate the detailing the way I imagined it in my head. My parents kept the book. It’s all I ever wanted to do.

Describe a typical day of design school.
It was the best time of my life, I enjoyed every second of it. I got to go to Paris and see the fashion museum, the biggest fabric exhibition, and toured the city. It was a great experience and something I never thought I would be able to do.
Kaushala's designs from her first collection - "Lola"
You recently started creating your own pieces. Tell me about the whole process.
Yes I have and it was so hard yet so much fun. It’s the most rewarding experience, especially when you see the collection evolve from a simple flower to a fully developed design.
A model wears Kaushala's design from her Lola collection

What are the experiences you have had in the fashion industry? Have you been to London Fashion Week?
I did go to London Fashion Week once. It was beyond amazing! A lot of my experience in the industry came from my time in design school; my trip to Paris also gave me so much insight. Right now my experience comes from just doing my own thing, designing and doing what I love. I learn something every day.

How has living in so many cities in the world affected your style? How did you adapt your style?
I love this question, it’s amazing how much the high street, and street fashion can influence you. It stuns you how different people are when putting one outfit together, it’s like a fingerprint. It’s different in every country and it has a lot to do with the environment and culture of the people.

Describe how you dress for your day job and your day-to-day life outside of your job.
I like things I feel comfortable wearing. Whenever I go out it depends on where I go and who I go out with. So I put something together depending on these points, oh and the weather.

How would you describe your personal style and attitude in life? 
My personal style is very chic, classic, with a little bit of Boho. I don’t like jewelry much, if I do wear some it’s always a pair of earrings. I do love a very deep black eye and red lipstick is wonderful! My attitude towards life, I like to take it one day at a time. I really do love living; I am not scared of the future. And I’ll never give up on my dreams.

What is/are the piece(s) in your closet that you consider a favorite at the moment?
My black brogue shoes is a favorite right now.

How do you like to relax and spend your weekends?

I love going to the park that’s next to my house and I love cooking with my husband.

What motivates you?
My parents and my siblings, whenever I think about them I know I need to do my best.

What are you most passionate about?
Life and love

Where would you like to be in 5 years?
In my own little boutique making dresses, doing what I love.

How do you sparkle and spice up your life?
I add spice to my life by living in every single moment.

Just around the corner in every woman's mind - is a lovely dress, a wonderful suit, or entire costume which will make an enchanting new creature of her.  ~ Wilhela Cushman 

I hope you enjoyed reading Kaushala's story and take away some inspiration from it. Her dreams did not get handed to her on a silver platter, but what you see is a determined young woman, with a love for life and fashion, doing everything possible to get one step closer and finally achieve her dreams. So don't let obstacles stop you from doing what you love. See them as a challenge instead because what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger.

xoxo-Chrissy

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Fashion is a tough industry to get into and involves a lot of work and energy. I have to give the girls props. She's talented!

    The last dress is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Laura, it definitely is! Kaush is very talented and passionate about her work. I am sure she would love your comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love her designs... It's awesome.. I remember her in school... It's nice to read about what she's doing now.. waiting for the next post =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her designs too - she definitely has talent!

      Delete