August 28, 2011

Trendspotting: Peplum Please

Peplum is definitely a huge trend and will continue to be big this fall. It gives you an instant hourglass figure if you don't have one and accentuates it if you do. The pretty flare is a definite head turner, so start shopping ladies!

Blake Lively in Victoria Beckham
Here are some ways to wear peplum:
Outfit 1: A flouncy peplum dress can definitely be worn out on the town. I'd pair it with some fierce animal print pumps. I would keep the jewelry to a minimum since the dress and shoes are so loud and work it with my makeup instead. I'd go for smokey eyes and a nude lip or  if I'm feeling especially festive, I'd go with a daring red pout and balanced eye makeup. I also added a black and gold sequined minaudiere to play with texture and pattern.

Outfit 2: Another way to wear this trend would  be as a blouse. I paired this structured cobalt blouse with some pleating at the neck with a grey pencil skirt. The color and detail of the blouse really pop and the peplum can take center stage as it flares out against the slim fit of the pencil skirt. For footwear I added classic black pumps and included some chunky silver rings for interest. I would go with simple makeup with a pale pink lip to both compliment and contrast the outfit.
Trendspotting: Peplum Please
Polyvore

Outfit 3: This cowl-necked peplum dress is the perfect neutral shade and fits like a dream. It would be a great dress to wear for work and gives you that instant sophisticated chic vibe. I put together a pair of pumps in the same shade (for a leg lengthening effect), a classic men's watch in gold and a green doctor's bag for a bit of color. You'll notice how I've kept the jewelry to a minimum in all these 3 looks and I have my reasons. Peplum is automatically very dressy, especially when worn in these structured pieces. Adding crazy jewelry may take away from the effect. Also, depending on where you plan on wearing these outfits, you can use your creativity and add the appropriate baubles :)

Outfit 4: This last outfit was styled with a casual college day in mind. You want your look to be laid-back but stylish. Pair a peplum jacket with dark jeans to keep it casual and add a pair of studded ankle boots to pull the look together. I added chunky chandelier earrings to this outfit for some oomph. Also, stick to a simple color scheme - I picked red, black and blue.


(Image via Google images)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!